Monday, December 11, 2006

X-Men: The Last Stand DVD Review


So this is over a month overdue. Sue us. We're cheap. We finally got a copy to check out from the local library. (Mister Fanboy Staff Cheapskate Tip: Check out DVDs from your library. They are free. It's been over 5 years since we paid to rent a movie)


And for the record, spoiler alert.

We saw the movie when it originally came out. Check out our spirited review here. As with most movies, it was not as good the 2nd time around. In fact, now that the fannish patina we hold for the source material has dulled over time, we can honestly say that we like the film less and less. Was it really necessary to kill off 3 major characters and depower 2 others?

Still, that's not the point of this review. Nope. We're here to review the special features. The DVD promises 3 alternate endings. So we go into it thinking that there might be an ending where Phoenix lives or brings the Prof back to life. Nosiree Bob. It's probably worth noting here that the film ended with the funerals of the fallen. So, what do we get?

Ending #1: Essentially the same as the released version, with the dialogue taking place at the first day of the next school terms.

Ending #2: Rogue returns, letting Bobby know that she didn't take the cure, whereas in the released version she did.

Ending #3: Logan heads to Alberta, Canada, presumably to follow up on his past (and set up the Wolverine solo film).

What was the point? Aside from a deleted scene where Bobby kisses Kitty, nothing else happens. Yawn.

Bottom Line: Save your money and check it out from the library, or better yet, snap up a "Phoenix Saga" graphic novel to see the beauty of the source material.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money now

5:32 PM  
Blogger Wet For Went said...

I hate fucking spammers you would not believe how much I have to delete...Now that my tirade is over, my DVD is still in the plastic. I liked the movie when I saw it in the movies with other X-men fans but I probably won't even watch it at home. I have a DVD addiction that REQUIRES me to buy movies especially if they are a part of a franchise. It's sick. Thanks for letting me know the alternate endings sucked though. Who knows when that plastic is coming off now...

11:55 AM  
Blogger Fanboy said...

i totally know what you mean. I collect comics. And trust me, for stretches X-Men was one of many other titles that sucked for years at a time. Spammers are idiots. I leave them up there just cuz i'm lazy. your blog is getting better by the way. it's fun to watch it evolve. I've hit a bleeeeeeh patch of late and can't really seem to get it together.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home