Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Open Letter To Gail Simone: Birds of Prey's Carnivorous Choices




Today, Mister Fanboy Comics joins us for something ... odd.


Dear Ms. Simone:






I love Birds of Prey. There's no 2 cents about it. I jumped on the bandwagon when you started your run and there's no end in sight (in a good way). At first I was a bit flummoxed by the decision to move Black Canary off of the canvas for the time being, but the resulting influx of new characters is wonderful. I am particularly enjoying Manhunter and she-who-shall-remain-unnamed, so as to not spoil the surprise for those who haven't read issue #102, which came out today (although, in hindsight, it makes perfect sense). However, that's not why I am writing you.



I am writing because Birds of Prey is one of the few of my comics that my non-patchouli stinking eco-groovy granola girlfriend will read. That in and of itself is a good thing. However, I am afraid to share this issue with her? Why? Because of the menu choices by both Barbara Gordon/Oracle and Lois Lane. My girlfriend is majorly into marine conservation, and believes the best way for us regular people to do something is to not buy over-fished species. Shrimp, unless it comes from a trap and especially if it's farmed is a major no-no (yeah, I know it's counter-intuitive). So is orange roughy. Both species are disappearing at an alarming rate. See - she's even brainwashed me as I am spouting her eco-line of thinking. Visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium for more info. on what not to eat and what to eat. You can print a little card and take it along with you. I am never allowed to leave the house without mine. Gulp. So please, next time have them choose an Alaskan halibut or a Dungeness crab cake so that I can share the comic with her. Or veal. Oddly, she doesn't care about that.




Regards,


Mister Fanboy Comics

P.S. I hope that Manhunter becomes a permanent fixture of the book, especially in light of the news of her solo titles likely cancellation.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Gail Simone said...

It's a little embarrassing, but I didn't know that about Orange Roughy until a visit to the Seattle Aquarium a couple weeks ago.

Tell your girlfriend she's right, I was wrong, I'll try to find a way to correct my error in the future.

Best wishes,

Gail

11:05 PM  
Blogger Fanboy said...

Thanks so much. Now I feel it's safe to hand her the issue along with your response. I love your writing and pacing Gail, keep it up! Oh, and I am totally getting into Welcome to Tranquility. Is that an ongoing or a mini? Thanks for visiting us.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Amy Reads said...

Hi Mr. Fanboy,
You should only buy REAL LOUISIANA SEAFOOD anyways, since, you know, NOLA is, according to the media, a third-world country.
That was, of course, until Brangelina bought their house in the French Quarter. Now we're a third-world country with celebrities.
Ciao,
Amy, who loves shrimp

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home