Friday, July 28, 2006

Why Collect Comics You No Longer Want/Like/Read?


There's a great discussion about this topic over at the Fortress of Fortitude. Read it here. I agree with the editors over there with much of their reasoning. Here's my 2 cents:

Completeness: I like having complete runs if I can. For example, why buy House of M 1-4 and then skip the final 3 issues. If you are absolutely hating it, that's one thing. But if you're ambivalent and you think having the complete run is important, then why not? I know the answer is money or space, or even time, However, when it comes to books that I come to late, then that's something different altogether. If it wasn't for the intriguing Civil War tie-ins, I would have dropped Thunderbolts about 3 months ago (and I may still). I have been reading it since it's current reboot. I liked where it started, but then it got confusing as hell.

Tradition: Why did I pick up the X-Men through some of its recent disastrous runs? Tradition. I have always picked up the comics and probably always will. I love many of the characters so I want to keep up with what's going on. It's my own version of daily soap operas I guess. At the same time, I can ignore Austen's horrible Husk storylines with the knowledge that eventually a new writer will be on the book. And even when Chris Claremont lost his luster as a writer, I still continued to tune in because I know that giblets of goodness are out there. For example, I am enjoying New Excalibur even though Captain Britain doesn't do it for me and really liked X-Men: The End, though I wished it was 6 issues longer so things weren't rushed.

Art/Writing: I can't tell you how many times I've continued reading a book, even though I was disappointed in it, just because I liked the work of the author in his/her previous books (see above comment about Chris Claremont). The same goes for art, whether interior or cover.

If I think of anything else, I will add it here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home