Sunday, October 07, 2007

Pop Culture Diarrhea

We’re back. It’s been a long while, we know. You pined for our return – we got the gifts and loved them, thank you very much. The stalkers – we weren’t too fond of them, but that’s what we bought Charles Montgomery Burns’ new litter of hounds for.

So where do we start? We’ve consumed lots of pop culture since Comic-Con. So we shall steal a page from our friend Amy over at Arrogant Self-Reliance and give you a brief recap of what we’ve seen, liked, disliked, etc.

From the files of Mister Fanboy Comics

Killing Girl


This mini tells the story of a young girl snatched from her family and trained to be a mob assassin. Throw in some stunning artwork and you’ve got yourself a keeper.

Superman/Batman


It’s official: I am dropping this from my pull. I’ve kept it going 2 years longer than I should have. Nothing was better than the 1st 6 issues. I just wasted over $75. Good for me!

World War Hulk



Hulk Smash! Sure it’s like summer blockbuster movie fluff – but it’s fluff that works. The art is awesome and the characterizations make sense. Wish it could have been scheduled weekly, however, as to keep it’s punch. No pun intended.

Birds of Prey



Gail Simone has left writing the book. A moment of silence please.

The Secret Six’s Knockout is dead? Say it isn’t so. But what about the follow-up? I hate DC crossovers. They just SUCK! I will not Countdown nor did I play 52 pick-up (until the library gets the trade paperbacks of course).

From the files of Mister Fanboy Movies:

First Run Movies

Except for the Simpsons Movie, which I loved, I’ve only seen one other flick in the theaters since July, and well, it was much-less-than-meets-the eye.

DVDs

Lady Vengeance



This Korean revenge flick is one of the best I’ve ever seen. It’s not as violent as its name implies, though is by no means for the squeamish. Take one part Kill Bill Vol. 1 and equal parts of indescribable drama and revenge and you get this masterpiece. And we don’t use that word frequently. It tells the story of a woman who spends 13 years in a prison for a murder she didn’t commit. Then she seeks revenge … with a twist I didn’t see coming. Oddly, we found it by way one of those workplace time killers somewhere on the web with one of those 10 Best Lists about women that kick ass in movies. This came in at #2 (behind Sigourney Weaver in Aliens). However, it being ahead of Beatrix Kiddo in Kill Bill intrigued me. I am so glad I got. Get it yourself.

Old Boy


Another great Korean film, this tells the story of a man snatched off the street and imprisoned in a room for 15 years as part of an elaborate plan of revenge. The first 2/3 of the movie and the ending are great, but there’s a little bit just before the ending where it loses its way. Still, it’s well worth your time.

From the files of Mister Fanboy TV

Heroes



The first episode seemed a bit ho-hum. The 2nd episode was much better and I hope it hits its stride soon, though I can’t for the life of me really care about the Northstar-Aurora brother and sister archetype knockoffs traveling through Central America.

Bionic Woman




The first episode set the stage, but was so obviously a pilot in terms of craptacular character development. If it wasn’t for the Sarah Corvis character (played by Battlestar Galactica’s Katee Sackhoff) we can’t say that we’d care. The lead is pretty enough but she needs more of a personality. Loved the cameos by the other BSG actor (see for yourself) and the episodes playing on the DVD player. And someone please take the blonde psychologist woman to a salon to do something about her hair. Please. We’re so glad to see that Isaiah Washington is being duly reprimanded for his anti-gay slurs … by getting a recurring role here. WTF?

From the files of Mister Fanboy Music

Sonic Youth’s Daydream Nation Deluxe Edition



Full disclosure: Daydream Nation is one of our favorite albums ever! Not only is it digitally remastered in the first disc, but the 2nd is a live recording before an audience. Throw in some live covers … Ecstasy!!!!!

PJ Harvey’s White Chalk


Depressing as all get out … but like opium, and the rest of her albums – addictive. Not like her previous hard hitting work. This one is decidedly low key.
Vegas Celebrity Sightings: Seal, John Oates (Daryl Hall was no where insight), Andre Agassi, Stefi Graf, and Gwen Ifil.
Still to come ... review of Kathy Griffin's live show next Friday night at Mandalay Bay.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Reads said...

Hi Mr. Fanboy,
I am Less Than Impressed with Bionic Woman. You must give Pushing Daisies a try. Also, thanks for the rec on Lady Vengeance!
Ciao,
Amy

PS Good to have you back :)

7:51 PM  
Blogger Fanboy said...

You're very welcome. Thanks for the heads up on Pushing Daisies. Yes, Lady Vengeance - do it. I watched Infernal Affairs today (the Asian film that the Departed was based on) and enjoyed it, though oddly liked the US version's ending better. Color me surprised.

Good to be back.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Wet For Went said...

I have to agree on Pushing Daisies. I like it more than I expected to. Someone else said Heroes was slow too. I don't see it, not sure why and I like the twins but if they don't hurry up and get to America...

Oh and check this out. When I saw it, I thought of you.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home